13 Reasons Why You Should Watch Idols SA Season 13
The Mercury drops, the excitement goes up as Idols Season 13 (Idols SA 2017) edges closer. We count down thirteen reasons why you should get cosy with Idols this winter.
Forget about the myths and the legends – this year, the famously “unlucky” number thirteen is going to be the charm for one happy hopeful! After smashing the viewership numbers out the ballpark with a record number of people tuning in for last season’s finale, Idols SA is all the way up!
But if you still need some convincing, here are 13 reasons why you should tune in on 09 July – and every Sunday after…
1. Three’s company – With the exit of long-time judge Gareth Cliff, the judges’ table has decidedly got more room. Will Somizi claim the space for his voluminous designer handbags, or will Unathi reserve the seat for an easy-to-reach box of tissues for when the tears come?
2. Guest judges – While we wait to see what happens with the empty seat during the live shows, some celebrity bums occupied it during the audition phase. R&B muso Donald impressed in Cape Town, powerhouse vocalist Kelly Khumalo took charge in Joburg, the opinionista of the airwaves Phat Joe was in Durban and former Idols winner and music star Khaya Mthethwa gave love in Pretoria.
3. The Golden Disc – For the first time in Idols history, the show introduced the Golden Disc, a “get out of jail free card” that a judge can use to bump up a contestant to Theatre Week even if the other judges say no. Anticipate some heated debates here.
4. The small-town detour – Big cities are the Idols audition stomping ground, but this year headline sponsor Telkom helped take the roadshow to three smaller town to give the out-of-towners a chance. Say hello to Port Elizabeth, Bloemfontein and Polokwane!
5. The numbers – The fierce competition between Durban and Jozi continues unabated. This year, both cities enjoyed a record number turnout of about 2000 each. Jozi trumped Durban by nabbing the highest golden tickets between the two; but with the coastal city known to produce the most in the Top 10, it remains to be seen where this season will take us.
6. The Wooden Mic celebs – Who says you have to be crowned Idols winner to be famous? 2016’s Wooden Mic Top 3 came out during this year’s Durban auditions to “give advice and encouragement” to the newbies. Wooden Mic winner Mbishop, first runner up Phumzile and second runner up Mxolisi certainly don’t believe in just 15 seconds of fame and take their unofficial Idols ambassadorship very seriously.
7. Somizi’s flamboyance – Between gold lamé harem pants, bedazzled shoes and embellished jackets, this judge’s wardrobe is only rivalled by his hairstyles as a topic of conversation. We wait with bated breath for the next outlandish hair colour and outrageous outfit. All hail Somgaga!
8. Unathi’s tears – You have to admit that judge Unathi’s tears never disappoint. She could be in the midst of silent mirth with rivulets of salty tears running down her face, or she could be experiencing one of her “touched” moments … you just never know with Unstar.
9. Randall mellows out – It’s been years coming, but 13 might just be the charm number for Randall. With Golden Discs to give out, he will have to reach deep down to find his long-lost empathy for contestants. He might even crack a smile or two this season.
10. The returnees – The comeback kids have been a great source of contention on the judges’ table. However, after two returnees made the Top Three in Season 12, the judges might be a little more forgiving to the multitude of hopefuls making a comeback this season.
11. The drama – What’s Idols SA without a healthy sprinkling of spice? We look forward to who will attempt to romance a judge, who will leave them with their jaws on the floor, who will make Somizi jump out of his chair and on to the stage and who will have a few choice words for Randall.
12. The dazed and confused – There’s something about the waiting room chair that just renders contestants blank. The red light will go on, the bullhorn will sound, yet they will still find a way of staying put on that chair with the most beatific expression on their faces.
13. Proverb – The Verb’s quick wit, sly sarcasm and flying one-liners give us life … finish and klaar!
Idols SA Season 13 (Idols SA 2017) will premiere on Mzansi Magic (DStv channel 161) on Sunday, 9 July at 17h00.